Saturday, July 14, 2007

Being "Doctor" Jess

One of my first nights, a patient's family member came up to me and asked if I was one of the doctors, and after a confused paused, I realized that the correct answer was "Yes!"

I haven't yet introduced myself as "Dr. ____" to anyone yet. It's still too strange to me. I usually just state my full name and then say "I'm one of the doctors in the ICU." I've only signed my name with "MD" a few times and only when it seemed necessary to say explicitly that I'm a doctor, such as death paperwork. For my charting, I just stick with "PGY-1".

As hesitant as I am to shout from the rooftops that I'm a doctor. I'm realizing how much I love being one. My worst experiences in medicine have been when I just followed orders instead of questioning the plan set by my residents and attending. In the ICU, I'm on a great team that values my opinion. When I say I'm concerned about my patients, they listen, and we discuss the best course of action. It's hard to believe that I only have two calls left in the ICU, and then I'll likely be on the wards, which will present a new set of challenges.

Outside the hospital, I've been making an effort to see my husband and friends. There have been definitely sacrifices, such as missing a friend's out-of-town wedding and not seeing my husband everyday. However, this week after my usual post call nap, I went to see the new Harry Potter movie and have a delicious meal in Chinatown. Despite the constant exhaustion, I never regret going out. It makes me feel like a normal person for a little while. Even working up to 80 hours a week (and it's pretty close to that), I haven't had to sacrifice all the joys in my life. My Tivo keeps all my favorite reality TV shows, such as So You Think You Can Dance, for me, and I've been rereading my Harry Potter books in my spare time.

It's taken me three times as long to figure out what to say in this post. What am I really trying to say? I'm surviving, and it's not so bad. It's actually pretty darn good.

1 comment:

Kate said...

We should get together to sip tea and read Deathly Hallows together :).