Monday, May 21, 2007

Hello, Dr. Jess!

All the hoopla is over, and I'm not tired of people calling me "doctor" at all. I'm beginning to wonder how long it will take before greeting my classmates with "Hello, doctor!" gets old. I'm guessing not very long into my intern orientation, so that gives me about three weeks to enjoy it.

Graduation was an emotional day but not when I expected it. During my time on stage I was a little too preoccupied with keeping my tam on while getting hooded and standing on the correct X while shaking hands with the dean to feel the weight of that moment. The emotion came later when my classmates and I stood to recite the Hippocratic Oath. We didn't swear to Apollo as in the original oath but instead said a more modern version, possibly written by Dr. Lasagna.

I do solemnly swear by whatever I hold most sacred, that:

I will be loyal to the profession of medicine and just and generous to its members.

I will lead by life and practice my art in uprightness and honor.

I will do no harm.

Into what ever home I enter it shall be for the good of the sick and the well to the utmost of my powers.

I will hold myself aloof from wrong, from corruption, and from the tempting of others to vice.

I will exercise my Art solely for the cure of my patients and the prevention of disease, and will give no drugs and perform no operation for a criminal purpose, and far less suggest such a thing.

Whatsoever I shall see or hear of the lives of men and women which is not fitting to be spoken, I will keep inviolably secret.

These things I do promise.

In proportion as I am faithful to this oath, may happiness and good repute be ever mine; the opposite if I shall be forsworn.

That is a pretty tall order, but I'll try my best. Congratulations, Class of 2007!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations! we're so proud of you!

Parcho said...

Nice work, Dr. Jess. :-)

Most of our classmates walked around going:

"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
etc...

VeganHeartDoc said...

Congratulations!

I learned quickly that being called "doctor" by my colleagues indicates I just might be in big trouble.