Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Intern 15?

At our recent intern retreat, our program directors took the liberty of flashing a picture of each intern in a slide show. Most of the pics were taken from those submitted with our residency applications, and we just had to laugh! We all look so different. Shiny, happy, and new in our best suits. Now I'm wearing T-shirts over drawstring pants covered up by my greyish white coat.

After the slide show, two people commented to me that it looks like I've lost weight since my picture, and after weighing myself (finding a scale in a hospital can be surprisingly difficult), I found that it's true! While my friends have been moaning about the "intern 15" as equivalent to the "freshman 15" gain in pounds, I've been losing weight. I guess it depends how you deal with stress, and for me, I usually can't relax and eat until all my work is done. That means I've missed a meal here or there, and I rely a lot on snacks in my pockets, mostly granola bars.

However, I just started on a new wards team, and there's food everywhere! Munchkins! Candy bars! Pumpkin-shaped cookies with frosting! Maybe the "Intern 15" will be in my future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not totally related to this, but please check out Grand Rounds today at http://runningahospital.blogspot.com/2007/10/grand-rounds-volume-4-number-6.html. Some moving and insightful stories about experiences in hospitals. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.