Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"dear dr. jess"

i'm back! i had writer's block for the last few days partially induced by this blog's sudden popularity and my husband's warnings not to say anything that will have professional consequences for me in the future. as you can see, i've taken great pains to be anonymous (see this blog's name ... not my real name! really!) i've read quite a few doctors' blogs, so i'm hoping i will also figure out how to write about my life without violating any privacy laws.

anyway, i received my first piece of mail addressed to "Doctor" yesterday! i got a bit of a thrill; unfortunately, it was from a bank that wants me to buy real estate. i thought most of the nonmedical world was oblivious to the match, but apparently mortgage lenders know that i just received a conditional offer from my residency program already. their business strategy is a pretty good one as the idea of going from negative income to positive income makes me feel rich! however, my data-oriented husband sent me a few articles on the pitfalls of home ownership plus a very persuasive spreadsheet about how we're better off renting. who can fight all that data? *sigh* i guess there's no condo for me in the near future. that's okay. i already spent some of my yet-to-be-earned salary outlet shopping this weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your husband sounds really smart! Why more people don't rely on evidence-based data analysis in their decision making processes is a mystery.

jess said...

hmm, i wonder who posted that.

honey, you're going to need your own blog to defend yourself during residency because i'll be complaining about how you're not cooking dinner for me!

Anonymous said...

Please keep posting, including the aggravating things about residency and life in general. I'm in the same position your husband is, so help me avoid the landmines, please!

Labor Nurse, CNM said...

My vote is for buying the condo. Your residency is at least 3 years, right? All you need is 2 years of home ownership to not get slammed with capital gains tax, and you will leave your residency with equity.